One game unites people all over the world: Tag
This universal concept will be given an innovative twist for World Environment Day 2018: We’re launching a global game of #BeatPlasticPollution Tag to showcase positive behaviour change around how we consume plastic.
Did you know that every 60 seconds, the equivalent of a dump truck full of plastic waste is pouring into the sea. We need to do something now!
On 24 May, the tag game will kick off with influencers posting a video or photo on social media that shows the switch they’ve made from single-use plastic to more sustainable alternatives.
When they do so, they will “tag” 3 people or organizations, challenging them to show the action they’re taking in the next 24 hours to beat plastic pollution and to continue the game by tagging more people.
Here’s how to join the game. It takes just 30 seconds.
1. Decide which change you will make to #BeatPlasticPollution (Here are some examples):
▶ Give up plastic bottles for reusable ones
▶ Switch your plastic bag for a colourful reusable bag
▶ Ditch plastic straws for metal or biodegradable straws
▶ Refuse plastic food packaging – bring your own containers for food
▶ Swap your plastic toothbrush for a metal or bamboo one
2. Take a selfie or record a video selfie that shows your switch. This is a space for creativity and fun, so find an interesting way to do so! Check out our sample video [https://youtu.be/74CG3JDpsvc]
3. Tag three people/organizations/companies to challenge them to commit to changing their single-use plastic habits. Let them know they need to do so in 24 hours!
4. Use the #BeatPlasticPollution and #WorldEnvironmentDay hashtags in your social media posts and be sure to mention @UNEnvironment
5. IMPORTANT: Do not post your #BeatPlasticPollution photo/video until 24 May 2018 when the game of tag officially kicks off!
Join the social media conversation, check out the World Environment Day Trello board https://trello.com/b/0pngdhCn/world-environment-day-2018